"At DSHI Systems, we create products that reduce the cost of health care by helping patients make important decisions about when and where to receive care." Stephen J. Schueler MD, President, DSHI Systems
At the heart of our solution is TriageXpert, a computer program that performs symptom triage. The goal of symptom triage is to decide when, and where, patients should seek care when they have symptoms.
TriageXpert works by performing a medical interview, just like a real doctor. During the interview, the patient answers question about his or her symptoms and past medical history. TriageXpert is designed to be fast with an average encounter time under 2 minutes.
TriageXpert performs triage, sorting cases into three major groups:
- Those that require emergent or urgent physician intervention now
- Those that require a non-urgent provider evaluation
- Those that can be cared for at home
Those cases that require a non-urgent provider evaluation are sorted into four subgroups:
- Those that should be seen within 8 hours
- Those that should be seen within 24 hours
- Those that should be seen within 3 days
- Those that should be seen within 2 weeks
TriageXpert also identifies the most appropriate location for care, such as:
- Emergency Room
- Urgent Care Center
- Physician Office
- Dentist Office
- Physician eVisit
- Nurse Retail Clinic
- Home (self-care)
Built by Experts
TriageXpert is 100% written and maintained by board certified emergency medicine physicians.
- Click here for more information on the physician authors.
DSHI Systems triage solutions have been used by healthcare professionals for more than 12 years. Currently, the technology is used to direct care for 50 million people.
- Click here to see how the technology has been used by the US Department of Veterans Affairs for the past 10 years.
- Click here to see how MedlinePlus, a service of the US National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, links to our symptom triage solutions.
- Click here to see how Everydayhealth.com used TriageXpert API to create an award-winning service.
- Click here to visit FreeMD.com, a turnkey consumer triage site with an integrated medical knowledgebase